Friday

Common Misconceptions about Girls Who Lift

I go to a bakal gym where most evenings, I'm the only girl working out. Once in a while, there'd be titas and mumshies who also workout. Some friendly titas would engage in friendly chitchats with me. And what should you expect from chatty titas? The giving of unsolicited comments, pieces of advice, and uneducated remarks about my workout program. Lol! But let me be clear about this: people who are not well-informed, not just titas in the gym, tend to give uneducated remarks about girls who lift. Here are ridiculous things people say about girls who lift and other misconceptions.


1. "Sige ka, lalaki ka nang husto. Magmumukha kang lalake."
This has to be the most common misconception I often hear! While this is 100% possible and workable, it is not my goal to become a hardcore bodybuilder and I do not intend to have a manly built like the girl in the photo, Nataliya Kuznetsova. She eats, trains HARD, and takes supplements to achieve that physique. She even openly talks about using anabolic steroids so she could transform her body that way. But that's HER body goal.

Girls who lift have different goals and mine is to become fitter, stronger, and more toned. Women should not worry about gaining muscles and looking like a man because of lifting heavy weights. Trust me, you won't grow a beard! Lol. Just think about this: Would you rather have a strong body filled with muscles or a sluggish body filled with fats?

2. "Ay, ayokong magbarbel, baka lumaki braso ko dyan!"

Some girls are immediately intimidated by heavy weights. This fear is related to the first misconception about weight lifting and looking masculine. Again, using a barbel/dumbbell once, twice, thrice, or for a month in your workout won't result in manly arms right away. (Unless you're taking steroids.) Ako nga, more than a year nang nagbubuhat, but I'm nowhere near having manly arms.



3. "Kapag natigil ka dyan, lalo kang tataba."

Obviously, people who workout and watch what they eat lose weight; and when they fail to maintain their active lifestyle, they'll definitely gain weight again. Thus, one's mind should be set to continue working out and eating healthy. The goal is to maintain your physical fitness and health. Why would you want to go back to your old ways, right?

While this remark is logical, it is also very discouraging. This kind of pessimism should be avoided. Instead, why don't we just cheer on our friends who want to live better?

4. "Ang pawisin mo, kaya pala ang bilis mo pumayat."

If profuse sweating is one way to lose weight, di na sana ako nagpapagod sa gym. I'm pawisin since birth and still, I struggled with my weight for a time. So no, sweating does not mean that fats are burned. On one hand, sweating is our body's way of cooling down on a hot day or after an intense workout. It only regulates our body temperature. On the other hand, fats are burned when our body consumes calories (energy which are mostly stored in fats) during intense workouts. There's the difference.

5. "Ang bigat nyan. Baka hindi ka na magka-anak ha!"

This one is a very sensitive topic and since I don't have that much knowledge about the relationship between weightlifting and pregnancy, I'd skip the scientific explanation behind this. But let me simply put it this way: Iya Villania lifts heavy weights as a cross fitter, but she got pregnant and gave birth to two precious baby boys. What is there to be scared about?

When I was still overweight, my menstrual cycle was irregular. But since I became more active and maintained an ideal body weight, my periods came regularly. I believe that in my case, exercise has only helped me become healthier.

It is inevitable. We will always hear people talk about things they know little of. If we're serious about our health and fitness, we should not be swayed by other people's opinions.Instead, we should be knowledgeable and informed about our health and fitness so that remarks like these won't hinder our progress.

How about you? What other outrageous things do you hear people say about girls who lift?

   
TOUGH TIMES NEVER LAST
TOUGH PEOPLE DO
★ HAPPIDEZZ

No comments:

Post a Comment

How did you find this blog entry? Feel free to leave your comments and/or questions and I'll try to get back to you as soon as I can. Thanks for visiting!